Different Types of Medical Jobs

In a era when the Baby Boomer generation is starting to retire, one of the hottest areas for employment growth is in the health care industry.  There are a vast quantity of choices available for the average person, both in professional areas like RN, MD, and in the skilled areas such as Home Health Aide.
Job Seekers looking for a professional field can choose to be a Registered Nurse, a Physiatrist, a Occupational Therapist or a Respiratory therapist. Usually, depending on your locale, this kind of career requires a diploma that can take from 1 to eight years of studying, at the end of which requires the candidate passing a written state exam to receive its license.
For those seeking a job with not as much schooling required, there are several openings in the "skilled" field that are available. If you are looking to work in a place like a a hospital, you can get a position like a Certified Nursing Assistant (in some areas, this is being used to supplant the old Licensed Practical Nurse).  This requires up to two years of schooling and the passage of a state exam to be licensed.  Like the LPN, these jobs can do hands on work like moving the patient or bathing.
Other comparable skilled positions that work out of a client's home include:
PCA --- Personal Care Aide - needs about 3 months or less of studying, depending on locale.  This person cannot do hands on work with the client, but is more responsible for light housework like folding laundry, vacuuming the floor and running errands --- generally activities that a patient's disability prevents them from doing on their own.
HHA - Home Health Aide - Requires slightly more studying than a Personal Care Aide.  This person can cook, do light housework and remind the client to take his/her medications.  Unlike the PCA, this job is more hands on and can do activities such as dressing, bathing, feeding patients, cooking, helping with medication reminders, transfers, lifting, and escorting patients to doctor's appointments.
PTA - Physical Therapy Aide - requires up to two years of education.  A Physical Therapy Aide helps patient follow physical therapy plans set up by a regular physical therapist.
OTA - Occupational Therapy Aide --- Just like the PTA, requires up to 2 years of schooling.  Comes in and helps the patient follow plans set out by the  Occupational Therapist.
Massage Therapist --- requires up to 2 years of schooling. This person works in conjunction with a physician and OT /PT to provide relief from pain without the use of drugs.
HCSS- Home and Community Support Services aide --- This person deals more with Traumatic Brain Injury patients of any age -- needs a slightly different course of education than  Home Health Aide for certification - A HCSS helps the patient regain status in the community.  A Home and Community Support Services aide verbally assists and reminds the patient of daily tasks and functions. This aide can function more in a hands-on capacity than a PCA if really required.
As always, these jobs may have different titles depending on your locale, but as you can see that these jobs offer a wide variety of choices for this growing employment field.

Also because these specialties are so different, you will need to make sure your medical resume is appropriatly formated for the field you are applying to.


Gail Esparan